Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Woolgathering.

First, my Yarn Along entry:

Scrappy longies. All manner of blues and greens. There are currently six balls of yarn hanging off of this project. Reading The Dark Volume by Gordon Dahlquist. It's the sequel to The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Supposedly there will be a third book out this year. And yes, a sleeping Beast foot.

I spun this to be plied with the brown from yesterday.

This is the wool I ordered recently from Mohair and More.
These are my Aang colors: three ounces each of copper and yellow and two of blue.

Three ounces of two different browns and a full pound of undyed.

Three ounces each of two greens and lavender.

One ounce of firestar in Tropical (because I just want to play around with it even though it isn't a natural fiber) and four ounces of goldenrod. I did just realize that I'm missing three ounces of another brown. Hmm. Guess I'll be emailing the company.

This is heritage wool given to me by a friend. The clump on the left has been washed in near boiling water more than ten times. It's still not as clean as it could be.

I hand carded it regardless. I just can't waste any more water on it. I'll get around to the other half eventually.


10 comments:

  1. Your yarn is looking lovely. Looking forward to seeing it plied. All that new fiber is exciting! You might want to check out Ohio Valley Fiber Mill. They have great prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, those longies look great! i have been wanting to knit some for awhile now. i should just do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to come and play at your house!
    It all looks fantastic Melissa and I love seeing the wee little foot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been busy! Love all that wooly goodness. And those diaper covers are so pretty with all the flecks of color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops - I meant longies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome work on the heritage fiber. i just wasn't woman enough to get it there... hope you have a blast with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that yellow, the best :) Love all of your talents :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love all of that wool and imagining all the amazing things you'll create with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ignore me if this is not helpful, but I had some wool I bought really dirty I could not get it clean no despite washing it repeatedly in hot water. I spun one skein and was unhappy as it was sticky and dirty feeling. I read that hard water and soap don't work for scouring and to try laundry soap. I filled the sink with hot water and put only a finger scoop of tide in the water. I soaked the skein for 5 mins and rinsed it. The wool is clean. I am planning on washing the rest of the sheep's worth tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. We don't have any conventional laundry soap in the house. For now I'll just keep soaking it in near-boiling water and dish soap. If I find that I have another dirty fleece I'll invest in some laundry detergent. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete