Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Yarn Along - Ninja!

I decided to participate in the Yarn Along I've read about on several blogs. You can be a part, too. Stop by Small Things to read about it.



Okay. Yes. It looks bad (physically *on* my needles are the arms). I should have put the "face" on the back of the head to avoid the split rows. The "face" should also be larger - and not stark white. Aaaand, while I like the way it looks, I shouldn't have tried to "improve" upon a pattern that worked just fine the way it was written. My idea was to form the head as a ball rather than gather the top edge at the end. Well, I think the head is proportionally smaller than it ought to be. I also shaped the legs instead of gathering. The whole thing had to be slightly smaller so that I'd have even numbers that worked with my math. All in all, my "improvements" probably were not worth the trouble. The next doll I make, I'll shape the legs and arms again, but leave the head according to the pattern - maybe there's a compromise to be had. The original pattern is by the amazing folks at Wee Folk Art.

I'm reading a book I got through LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program. It's called The Circle Cast: The Lost Years of Morgan Le Fay and it's by Alex Epstein. I'm not ver far into it, but it's really interesting so far. It helps that I have a soft spot for Arthurian fiction.

2 comments:

  1. I have the same pattern and am planning on making my first doll for a little one's birthday. I don't have to have it finished until the beginning of August so I am allowing for my mistakes and start overs. Your ninja doll looks good and I bet even better with the arms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhhhh, I LOVE these legends, too! I haven't heard of this one so I'll be sure to check it out! This ninja is so very cute (is it ok if it's cute...or should it be "awesome" or "terrifying" or "intimidating"? I can't help it, it's cute!)
    Have a happy rest of the week:)
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete