Monday, October 25, 2010

Blergh.

This weekend has been.. rough.

I officially give up on attempting knitting patterns where a rectangle is supposed to magically transform into a cute, little animal. They don't work for me. I simply can't make them correctly. This duck that I've been working on.. it's sad. Very sad. So sad that I'm not going to take a picture of it. I'm not even sure I'll ever get around to adding a beak because it's just so not worth it at this point.

And the longies. Oy, the longies. Let me say this right now: I hate knitting swatches. Period. Ugh. I have so little time in which to knit that it seems like an enormous waste of time. Especially when I end up with the exact gauge that the label said I would. Don't get me wrong, I see the merit and value in knitting swatches. I just don't have the patience for it. So. Swatch completed I was faced with changing needle size and knitting another swatch or line-by-line calculations. Math is right up there with swatches for me. But in this case, math won. With the patient help of TheSittingTree, my step-mother, and my husband I managed to figure this out. I think. We'll see.

Right. So knitting did not agree with me this weekend. Here's hoping this week is better.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my word! Knitting swatches is something I rarely do. I can only get a couple rows knit during the day, so why spend time with a swatch!
    I hope you longies work out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my first swatch. I had assumed my yarn gauge would do the exact opposite of reality (make the longies wider and longer). So when I'd gotten thiry-some-odd rows into the longies and discovered that they'd fit only if stretched completely I went running for help. My extremely limited knitting time caused my swatch-despair as well.

    Until this, I'd only been knitting toys. And gauge doesn't matter so much there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh...hate swatches too.
    Better knitting next week. If not...threaten the needles with a crochet hook. :)

    ReplyDelete