Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Crochet help?

Okay. Some background. I can knit. I cannot crochet. I didn't learn to knit the "proper" way. After learning the long tail cast on and the knit stitch I tackled this as my first pattern. I Googled for videos to describe everything I needed to know for it: knitting in the round, magic loop, picking up stitches, short rows, purling. That's how I learn. I find something I want to make and then I work my way through it.

I want to crochet this (among many others) for my two older sons for their upcoming birthdays. Only.. I don't know how to crochet. So I've tried to approach this the same way I did with knitting. But crochet seems more complicated. Crocheting flat versus in the round versus joining rounds and continuous rounds. I'm so very lost.

So my question is, can anyone point me to a good starting place for this pattern? I know how to chain. I can find videos for single, double, etc crochet. But.. magic ring? That can't be like magic loop because it's just a single hook. Do I chain six to single crochet in this supposed magic ring?

So. Lost.

If only I had some local friends who crocheted! Of course.. I think I'd need local friends in general first, wouldn't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment