Friday, August 6, 2010

Eastern Black Swallowtail

This is the second (third?) year that we've raised Eastern Black Swallowtail caterpillars. Normally we find teeny ones on our parsley around the Elf's birthday (the 18th of this month). But this year we found giant ones a few weeks ago. I was able find one of them after buying myself a new vivarium. So we fed it parsley, watched it form a chrysalis. And today - when no one was looking, it hatched.



This little guy is now out in our (extremely hot) garden feasting on a dark purple butterfly bush. I love the way my kids' eyes light up when they see things like this.

6 comments:

  1. How beautiful! I've always wanted to do this with my kids, and I haven't done it yet. Now I reeeeally want to! Next year I suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool.....we used to have a gigantic butterfly bush, when we lived back east. One day..again..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I've been really disappointed this year - we spent so much time (and money - yikes) on a butterfly/hummingbird garden, but we've not seen ONE butterfly in it. I am going to do some more research next year and try again, I'd really love to hatch butterflies with Kieran!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim - We fell into taking care of caterpillars. It started out as a homeschool-learning-thing and turned into a passion.

    Dionna - What sort of plants do you have in your garden? I've found that to attract Eastern Black Swallowtails (which was mostly an accident) you need larval food (parsley, dill, queen's anne lace) as well as nectar plants - they love our butterfly bush and these giant weeds in our backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so beautiful! What a joy to be able to watch it hatch, too. I think it's wonderful that you take pleasure in details like this.

    ReplyDelete