Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Caterpillars!

Mere days after releasing our first Eastern Black Swallowtail butterfly of the year we found another caterpillar on our parsley in the garden. Since my parsley is looking pretty sad outside (I never trimmed it and it was nearly three feet tall and going to seed) I bought another from a local native nursery. The next day I decided to buy some dill to add to the garden, just in case any more butterflies cared to lay their eggs in our yard.



Imagine, if you will, how surprised I was to notice teeny little black and white squiggles on the dill (which had been sitting in the bedroom awaiting a time for me to plant it outside) when I went to lay the Imp down for his nap. The Elf and I quickly rounded up the dozen or so caterpillars and added them to the vivarium.



Now I have to go out and buy more plants to feed them. Again. If you've never raised a caterpillar, let me assure you that they eat just as much (if not more) than an almost-eight-year-old human boy during a growth spurt. Now multiply that by the 12+ little critters we have in there. Yes, I see more parsley in my future.

Also. Happy 100th post to me (even if most of them are old book reviews)!

3 comments: