Thursday, July 1, 2010

Food. Why is it such a problem in our house?

We are a family of five - though I only need to account for four of us at the moment. We don't eat red meat - in fact, the only meat we eat is poultry. The problem is that there isn't a whole lot that we like or that we can get the kids to eat. Pasta, rice, bread - not a problem. Vegetables? Fruits? Those are harder. Tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, cauliflower, corn, onion, zucchini, yellow squash - okay, no problem. Apples, oranges, bananas, grapes, pineapple, watermelon. But not everyone eats all of these things. The Elf loves fruit, not so much with the vegetables. The Imp.. he has a whole mess of issues with eating at all. Mostly, the Imp will eat meat. And cereal. And popsicles. Oy.

We want to eat healthier. We want to *be* healthier. We also want our toddler to realize that there is food beyond breast milk. I just have no idea how to do that. Food shouldn't be such a problem, should it?

We've cut back (massively) on prepackaged/processed foods. I make our taco seasoning and chili seasonings. I want to try baking sandwich bread so that we can stop buying the mass-produced stuff. I don't think I can ever give up my Eggo waffles, though. Maybe when the kids are older and I have more time in the mornings I'll be able to make my own. It's just not realistic right now (and I loooove my Eggo waffles). I'm going to make my own granola this weekend. But we're unlikely to give up boxed cereal, either.

Right. Am I missing the point? Did I have a point? The Imp is scaling window sills and carrying around a step stool - it's a little distracting, I must admit.

2 comments:

  1. I think you do very well, sometimes worrying about food can make you feel disgruntled. I have found that getting the child to help prepare the food,is a good way, better if they can go to a garden to pick it, makes the experience more meaningful, then they are more likely to eat it. I think your toddler will find food when he is ready,do not worry about that. My children have grown,and by the time they left home,they were all eating everything, so all will be well, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lovely comment you left on my blog!

    I just read this post and thought I'd share with you my old blog address. www.purplefrog-purple.blogspot.com
    I used to talk about food and feeding kids constantly on there. There might be a few things that will help you, like giving my kids lunch in my section plates got them eating huge amounts and variety of produce. But feeding them sure can be a struggle, isn't it? I know we still do sometimes.
    Good luck!
    Stephanie xx

    ReplyDelete