Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Travels of Marco Polo

Dear gods in heaven save me. This book was like having dental surgery preformed for fun. Never before have I dreaded picking up a book to read. This version was edited by Manuel Komroff with illustrations by Witold Gordon. Let me tell you right now that the pictures were the best part. Red, white, and nearly black block prints. Yes, this book was torture.

There were a few chapters that were mildly interesting. I picked this book up because I knew that Marco Polo mentioned The Old Man in the Mountain (of assassin fame). I'm somewhat fascinated by the Crusades and the "Assassins" so I thought I'd give it a spin. The majority of this book is as follows "[region] is under the dominion of the Great Khan. There are many plants and animals. The people are unremarkable." It just got so very old. I can only read about the mundane battles of various Tartars for so many pages before my brain cells begin to die.

I would not recommend this book. To anyone. Ever.

Okay, I'm over-exaggerating. I just found this book remarkably dull. Perhaps another version would have been more enjoyable. Also, who thought to publish a book about someone's travels with no map?

No comments:

Post a Comment