Monday, February 16, 2009

French Pressed by Cleo Coyle

This was a deviation from my "normal" genres. Once upon a time I read mystery novels and decided that I didn't really like them. Apparently, not much has changed. I picked up this book while searching the library for books about coffee history.

This is the sixth book in a series, but I didn't get the feeling I was really missing anything by not having read the previous books. Clare Cosi manages a coffee house in New York. She sort-of shares the apartment above it with her ex-husband (with whom she works), but is dating a cop. Her daughter is interning at a flashy restaurant and is having an affair with the married head chief. People start turning up dead, Clare's daughter is implicated, and Clare and her boyfriend help solve the case.

The story wasn't thrilling, the characters were not all that deep, and the situations seemed somewhat ludicrous. For some reason, though, I found myself turning the pages almost eagerly. In fact, I almost want to read the rest of the series. It's like seeing the flashing lights of a police car on the side of the road - you turn your head to see what is happening, even if you don't really care.

I suppose I would recommend this book to mystery fans. I don't have a lot to compare it to, but it wasn't horribly written or anything (aside from using the term "cuppa" which just bothers the hell out of me).

No comments:

Post a Comment