Sunday, February 8, 2009

Interred With Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell

Interred With Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell is a Shakespearean mystery. Kate is directing Hamlet at the Globe when Roz, her mentor of old, hints at a mystery and then is murdered. Kate embarks on a crazy adventure chasing clues over four hundred years old. She is aided (and sometimes hindered) by a handful of diverse characters. Roz's words "I found something" chase Kate as she tries to outwit a killer intent on preventing her from solving the puzzle.

I originally heard of this book through a giveaway mentioned on a LibraryThing forum. The reviewer didn't seem to really enjoy the book, but for some strange reason that made me want to read it even more. The characters were decent, though I never felt that they were anything more than made up people in a book. The mystery itself was intriguing and I found myself always wanting to know what was going to happen next. Overall I enjoyed this book. Parts of it dragged and the author seem to have gotten bored partway through and changed the focus a bit.

Shakespeare's plays were never something I was fond of reading (though I do love to watch the plays performed). Somehow this story made me want to pick up a play or two and give them another try - which gives it major points in my opinion. I would happily suggest this book to people who like mysteries and historical fiction tied together.

No comments:

Post a Comment