Monday, May 6, 2013

Mayhaw Festival

Over the weekend I was at Golden Acres Ranch for their Mayhaw Festival. I was set up in a tent with my yarn and Dervish, my spinning wheel. People came to watch me spin, to learn how to clean raw fleece, to gather information. It was a great deal of fun. Saturday I went by myself. It was overcast and rained occasionally. There was still a pretty good turn out, regardless. I met a great many truly wonderful people.

Saturday it was sunny and beautiful. B and the boys came with me. I'm so grateful for B. He is truly amazing - to spend his birthday chasing our kids around a farm while I share my spinning with others. It seemed that despite the weather there were less people - more kids, but less of a crowd. I still managed to meet many people (a number of whom have recently had sheep sheared and wanted to know what to do next). Busy as I was, I didn't take any pictures. Here are a sprinkling of photographs that B too while he followed the boys around.


I'm told that when they went on the "hay ride" (I didn't see any hay, but you get the idea) this dog (Boo, I think) followed along with the stick. I can't tell you how overjoyed my kids were with this dog. They love our mutt, Cynddl, but he's less than willing to fetch.















This weekend left me wanting, more than ever, to move out of the city and onto some decent land. There were chickens running everywhere, calm farm dogs, bleating goats, sunshine, and open spaces. Despite being glad to be home, I found myself profoundly sad driving back into the city.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you wish comes true, that would be a fun country life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day it will happen Melissa, don't give up.
    I'm glad you had such a fun time this weekend.
    I wish something like that was around here, all we have are seafood festivals.

    I hear you about the rain. I am still sloshing through the yard and all my carrot seeds were washed away. Now, in July I may need to you to remind me that I don't like rain. This will come after I moan and groan about watering all day long. ')

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your wish comes true too Melissa and I'm sure it will:)
    xo

    ReplyDelete