Monday, December 12, 2011

Weekending!

Oh man. I lost Saturday. It just as well didn't happen. I spent just about the whole day running errands. Everything was crazy-busy, of course. The post office, the grocery store. I won't even mention Target because that was utter hell (and I would have skipped it if we weren't desperate for cat litter).

Friday night (yes, I am skipping around) I discovered that the local yarn store no longer carries the yarn I was using to make that scarf from the Yarn Along. Do you notice the past tense? The scarf was frogged. Using every last scrap I had would have only gotten me about 35 inches of scarf. Oof. So I bought some lovely Top of the Lamb by Brown Sheep (I adore this stuff) in a nice and manly grey-brown. Sunday I spent every free moment knitting the scarf back up. I'm not even halfway through the second ball of yarn but at least it's more likely to be a decent length (not that I know anything about scarves).



So what does all of this mean? I didn't get any work done on my other knitting projects. I haven't worked on my kids' Solstice gifts. Oh. And I have to frog that infernal vest. Again. I stupidly did the side panels in reverse stockinette instead of garter. Grrrrr.

Oh! During the craziness of Saturday's errand-running I went to a "new" yarn store and bought a ball of Cascade Eco plus in a lovely green color that is apparently called turtle. I also dropped off some books at the used book store and scored a lovely stack of new-to-me books for less than $9.



Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen, Villette by Charlotte Bronte, Little Men (and at the bottom, Little Women) by Louisa May Alcott, The Hakawati by Rabih Alameddine, The Watsons and Emma Watson by (Jane Austen but "finished" by..) Joan Aiken, and finally, Emma by Jane Austen. No wait, I also bought the first book of the Bartimaeus trilogy for the Elf for Solstice. I've read them already and am kind of hoping it will help rekindle a love of recreational reading. It's not in the stack because it is hiding amongst my yarn stash to prevent prying eyes.

3 comments:

  1. I was so sad when our used bookstore closed it's doors; it looks like you founds some real treasures at yours
    I am glad you came by the shower, I hope you enjoyed your visit. Babies are such a joy as well as all the woman I have met since blogging. I hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have one very small bookstore in our town. I wish we had a BIG one and a used one. Oh well, I am so sad that you had to frog a knitted item, very very sad day. But you gained some yarn!! That makes it all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful brown yarn... and I have just bought a used copy (online) of the first book of the Bartimaeus Trilogy. I eyed it years ago when it was first published and then I forgot about it. I think my little Mr. will like it!
    xo

    ReplyDelete