Saturday, May 15, 2010

Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth

I was lucky enough to receive this book through LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program. The premise for the book is that Nathaniel Cade is a vampire in the employ of the President of the United States. He's bound to stop the forces of the Other Side.

This isn't a new concept. Think Hellboy crossed with general political thrillers. With a little Heroes thrown in, maybe. But it was still original enough to be intriguing. I didn't expect much from the story and was pleasantly surprised to find that I had a hard time putting it down. I'm fairly certain that I was supposed to become more endeared to Zach as the book progressed. Truth be told, even at the end I still felt that he was a sad replacement for Griff. Cade, on the other hand, was awesome. How could you not like a vampire who has a conscience, but also freely admits to being evil?

I look forward to future novels featuring Nathaniel Cade. The paranormal aspects of this book made the political thriller side of it less dull and predictable. I'd like to say that I have someone in mind to pass this book on to. But most people I know who like politcal thrillers aren't really big on the whole paranormal thing. There's an audience out there for this book, no doubt. I just don't know them personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment