Sunday, April 25, 2010

Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils by Rob MacGregor

I first heard about this book when reading The Lost City of Z. It was what inspired me to search this title out. Had it not been for my oldest son, I would have bought this one from the garage sale and left the rest. Boy am I glad I didn't. This particular Indy book was so very disappointing.

Indy and Deirdre set off to the Amazon to find Colonel P.H. Fawcett and perhaps prove that the ancient Druids established a tribe in South America. Sounds good, right? It could have been. It really could have. One of the great things about the Indiana Jones movies was that an element of mysticism was always present - but not over done. That is, until they brought the aliens into it. But you don't want me to go there.

In this book they took the fantastical and blew it so far out of proportion that my disbelief could not be suspended any more. Fawcett was also less than realistic. Perhaps if I hadn't recently read a book about him it wouldn't have bothered me so much. He just wasn't true to type. In some instances he was convincing. In others, he was this completely different person.

Here's hoping the next book is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment