Friday, April 23, 2010

Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants by Rob MacGregor

My seven-year-old and I found this (and all the other Indy books I own) at a garage sale. We're both big fans of the movies and thought it would be fun to read the prequels, too.

This book was everything I thought it would be. I was looking for a quick read with some action and very little need for active thought on my part. It delivered on all these fronts. I suspect that none of these books will live up to the movies, but it's unrealistic to expect them to.

Indiana Jones has his first teaching job at the University of London. There he falls for his boss's daughter, accompanies his boss (and her daughter) on a dig, is repeatedly attacked, captured by crazy druids, and (of course) saves the day. Oh. And he gets the girl - for the most part.

It was fun. It was quick. It wasn't too much for my very pregnant brain to deal with. In those regards, it was perfect. I have some issues with the way Indy is portrayed. But he is supposed to be younger in the books - so it's probably me with the problem, not the writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment