Thursday, February 18, 2010

Kitty's House of Horrors by Carrie Vaughn

I've always found it difficult to review books when they're fairly far along in a series. With each installment, my reviews seem to get shorter and simpler. Oh well.

This is the seventh book in the Kitty Norville series. The premise is that Kitty is joining a cast of supernatural celebrities (plus a skeptic) at a remote hunting lodge to film a reality show. Things, as usual, go from bad to worse to happy-ish ending.

I found Kitty's "I'm a talk show host, so I'll act like I'm forever on air" attitude at the lodge kind of annoying and a little forced. Gradually, though, it wears off and she acts more like a person and less like a cliche. I especially loved the way she sort of channeled Cormac during the crisis. Cormac has always been my favorite support character in these books. It was nice to have him back, even in that limited capacity.

The suspense was amazing. I actually caught myself daydreaming all of these horrible "there are people outside of my house waiting to ambush and kill me" thoughts. I admit that part of that is due to my overactive imagination (especially while pregnant - like I needed the encouragement to be paranoid!). The end of the crisis - the big save - was way too convenient for me. I won't ruin it by telling you why I think this, suffice it to say that it just seemed phony to me.

All in all, if you've read the first six books of the series, you're going to read this one too. You know you will. And odds are, you'll enjoy it - otherwise you wouldn't have read all the previous books, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment