Friday, November 27, 2009

The Dragon at the Edge of the World by Charles White

This is the story of three Vikings, one conniving opportunist, a handful of Native American tribes, a group of Asian pirates and the crazy adventures and conflicts in which they participate.

I really enjoyed this book. The story twisted in so many ways that I never really knew what to expect. I was never bored and the pace was excellent. There were a few spots where things seemed to change/happen abruptly - such as someone who had previously been elsewhere suddenly entering a conversation. I found it a little jarring, but it did not detract from the story at all.

As stated by the author in the Members Giveaway description of this book, it was written in a humorous manner. I saw the humor. I can understand why and how it would be funny. I just didn't find it so. I think this was more a problem with me and not the book - I read and enjoy Pratchett's Discworld books and yet I don't find them all that funny, either.

Overall, this was an excellent book and I'd earnestly recommend it to people with a better sense of humor than myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment