Sunday, September 21, 2008

Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland

I received this book as a member of LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program. Unlike most recipients, I did not read the free "prequel" short story, so I had no idea what I was getting into. However, I did sort of expect this to be a garden-variety urban fantasy. In this, I was not disappointed.

Elizabeth Phoenix is the main character. She is well developed and feels genuine. Some things about her irritated me for a while - her somewhat dumb-blond approach to figuring things out. But that's part of her character and I came to accept it. Because she is an ex-cop, I assumed the story would be more crime-fighting based and was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't.

In a way, I'm reminded of Karen Chance's Pythia character in regards to Elizabeth's role in the supernatural community. That's not to say that this book is a clone of another already written. I find that most books of this genre have certain similarities, and I'm okay with that. The plot was fast paced and interesting. I enjoyed the mythologies that the author incorporated and found some approaches to be quite unique.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and will definitely read future novels in this series. As with most urban fantasy, I found it to be a relatively quick read that was pure entertainment. Don't expect to use your devious investigative powers with this book, just sit back and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment